Monday, February 26, 2024

Temple

Over the years I've encountered more than a few discussions about the space one uses when conducting magical operations. More than a few beginners frighten over the fact they don't have a place to use solely as a temple, in the actual sense of the word. They consider this a liability and worry over the fact his would hinder their work, as in their results would be weaker.

Moreover, there are many out there who stress over the importance of a temple space. Often, these people happen to be in the business of crafting and selling magical implements, from something as complex as Golden Dawn temple pillars to something as mundane as candle holders one can find at garage sales. With their profit in mind, it seems obvious such people keep spamming the alleged importance of having as pristine a temple decor as possible, with every imaginable paraphernalia on the side.

In reality, this is not a must! While having a specially dedicated room as a magical temple would be ideal, most people cannot afford it due to obvious financial and social reasons. Therefore, a ritual space is required for undergoing magical practice. This space can be anywhere on the property or in nature, whether it be a kitchen, attic, back yard, the local woods and so on. So long as it allows the person relative peace and quiet for the duration of the work, it should do.

While a specially dedicated and consecrated room would be best, since it will gradually fill with spiritual energy and help channel that energy easier in each future operation, lacking it is no problem in my opinion if the person is diligent in their practice. This will gradually help them reach a level where their mind can easily shift into magical mode at the start of the work. This shift allows more fluidity in the operation while at the same time makes the person more oblivious to possible outside distractions.

From my own experience and that of others I've consulted over time, this would be the next best thing to having a permanent temple and would improve the spells' success rate. Therefore, even if you use a simple coffee table as a temporary altar and your finger to trace the LRP figures, it's far better than obsessing over lacking an actual temple. At any rate, you should tidy up the space prior to doing the work and afterwards store away whatever magical items you had used.

I myself am currently performing my work in the living room and using a coffee table as a temporary altar. For many years I've done it in the kitchen and used the kitchen table. As you can see in the attached photo, I'm using only a white candle for an altar lamp and a plastic bowl to collect the leftovers from incense sticks. I've printed a Table of Practice design on a 50x50cm piece of black cloth and use it to cast on another. The candle offering to the spirits goes inside the triangle alongside the appropriate sigils and the persons' link. 

Whenever I cast for myself I turn the cloth on the other side and it becomes a simple altar cloth. I don't usually use a ritual knife even though I found using one to be more elegant, but whenever I'm doing it I use the same kitchen knife I've consecrated using the method I briefly discussed in Words. In fact, I rote simple ritual setup requirements for the diy operations found to the left of the page.

Even so, I've been observing good results over time regardless of whether I cast for myself or another. 

So if you're unable to have a permanent temple, don't fuck yourself over it!


No comments:

Post a Comment