Tuesday, August 9, 2022

House colors

Did you know the twelve astrological houses were assigned colors? I didn't! And don't that the above picture for granted since I'm only using it because it's showing colored houses, but those are not the colors of the houses.

Part II, Chapter X of Liber Astronomiae mentions the colors assigned to the houses in the context of horary readings. Basically, if you're looking for something of a particular color then the house or houses assigned that color are the ones you should study when doing a horary reading to find that particular thing.

Here we go:

First and seventh - white

Second and twelfth - green

Third and eleventh - saffron (a shade of yellow)

Fourth and tenth - red

Sixth and eighth - black

The fifth and ninth seem to be missing from this list and I don't know whether it's because they hadn't been assigned any color, although I doubt that, or because one of the translators neglected to add them. I've become aware of this with the help of my reader from Bilbao who's got the Spanish translation of the book - thank you! Maybe the version in English mentions that color, since the houses seem to be paired per color based on their relation to the ASC-DSC axis. I imagine it's blue or purple although who knows?

Since it's the first time I've come across this information I cannot say whether other sources speak of these specific correspondences with respect to houses - I'm no scholar, doh! I imagine there could be since the planets had been assigned several colors depending on sources. I think I remember the Picatrix mentioning white for Venus and yellow for Jupiter... Or more than one color per planet depending on the book?! Dunno...

By the way, I've looked up saffron by color and came up with this although the search brought up several other shades of yellow labeled "saffron":
But I might just give this a try whenever I'm doing house rituals and use candles in the aforementioned colors appropriately.



No comments:

Post a Comment